4.17.2007

Michael Brecker Tribute

Michael Brecker was the most wonderful musician; a jazz genius who had a huge impact on the world of music. He passed away this year, and this video is my small tribute to one of my all-time heros of music. The first tune is "Naima," a Coltrane tune, and it's just Michael playing all by himself inventing lines. The second tune is "Some Skunk Funk," a rhythm section's dream song, and this particular early 80s band shows the level of musician that MB routinely played with, because he was the best. The Some Skunk band features Michael's brother Randy (hence the band The Brecker Brothers) Dave Weckl on drums, James Genus on bass, and Mike Stern on guitar. The 3rd video features:

Makote Ozone Trio With Mike Brecker
Between October 3-8, 2001
Blue Note Tokyo, Japan
Makoto Ozone: Piano
Michael Brecker: Tenor
James Genus: Bass
Clarence Penn: Drums

and it's a great example of how hard he could swing.

I put in a 4th video as well featuring another of my heros in music, Pat Metheny, with Larry Goldings on organ, of course MB on sax, and I believe Bill Stewart on drums.

Michael Brecker - I love you for putting it all out there and inspiring me and so many others.









Michael Brecker Feature Page at All About Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment