1.24.2007

Climate Survey Debate is not over

I rented "An Inconvenient Truth" because I wanted to understand more about the debate over global warming, which I have later learned is also commonly referred to as climate change.


The movie, however, states emphatically that there is not even a debate. The debate is over. But what do scientists and environmental professionals say? In a Global Climate Change Survey conducted by The National Registry of Environmental Professionals, I think you'll find that the results don't suggest that there is no longer a debate. Maybe in the mind of Al Gore, however, Gore (I like to point out) was also the winner of "the most classless election loser" award in history, and still believes he won the election of 2000. Imagine if all the Republican losers in 2006 behaved like Al Gore did... we may still be counting votes and not getting anything done.

I hate to bring Gore's politics into a post about Global Climate Change, but that's what Gore himself was compelled to do in his movie. One moment we're talking about environmental issues, and the next we're talking about the race of 2000 and how he still disagrees with the Supreme Court. Maybe we should let them decide the debate on climate change as well, although I'd rather let the scientists have that one.

Still, I found the DVD worth my time, as it spells out in layman's terms at least part of the debate, and is thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment