2.11.2007

Dixie Chicks Had a Record Out This Year?

OK - as a musician I can tell you the buzz all year came as a result of John Mayer's new recordings. Continuum is a solid, special recording, and I didn't run into one musician all year who was buzzing about any Dixie Chicks record. I guess the Dixie Chicks did have a recording out this year... something I first learned of this evening at the Grammys. But the amount of awards they won tonight was obscene. Did it have anything to do with music?















Anyway - the Mayer recordings will be the ones influencing guitarists, bassists, drummers, and songwriters for years to come. The Dixie Chicks record was politically inspiring to some folks, but I thought they looked like the "Ridiculous Chicks" tonight. What's with the Cocktail party dress, playing a strat? Am I supposed to take this seriously? Apparently I am - the "Academy" says so anyways. Even the Dixie Chicks knew that their awards were more about making a "statement" than they were about music.

Don't get me wrong. The Dixie Chicks are a solid professional act. I can see booking them in Branson or maybe Vegas. But you can't seriously expect me to believe theirs was the best album of 2006?!

Props to John Legend, The Police, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, Mary J Blige, John Mayer, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beyonce, Gnarls Barkley, and Christina Aguilera, (among others) who all gave incredible performances at this year's Grammys. The Dixie Chicks? Not so much.

2 comments:

  1. The fact you didn't know the Dixie Chicks had a record out this year produced by none other than RICK RUBIN primarily informs us about you. P.S. The Grammy's Record of the Year has never been the real record of the year. Again, your comments only serve to inform us about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't tell you nearly as much about me as you think, other than I am not very interested in the music of the Dixie Chicks. I do have the luxury of not having to pay attention to pop music that I don't enjoy, although to be honest I do think the group's vocals are pretty strong and they've got some good songs. They're just way down on my list of things to listen to. My post was more about the Recording Academy's Grammys farce than it was the Dixie Chicks. I can't blame them for making the best of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete